Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Art Tables: Building the legs

   After drilling the over sized holes, I cut notches on opposite sides to accommodate welding the nut/washer units to the inside of the leg.  I made a "wrench" out of 1" bar stock that would reach the distance to the shelf hole.


      Holding the nut/washer in place, I was able to use the bridge fixture I welded from 3/4"  bar stock to draw the washer flush to the inside of the leg.  Centering and tightening the bolt, enabled the nut/washer to stay securely in place while I tack welded the parts together.  It took some experimenting with the heat and the technique in order to find the balance of penetration without melting the washer.

     Once I got the hang of it and got over the stress of if the process would work or not, it went quickly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment