Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Art Tables: Starting to Weld

Tack welding

     Finally I had to start welding.  I took a welding class at the community college several years ago, but this was my first real project.  For the first step I tack welded the mitered corners of the top frame.  With the corners just tacked, I could square up the frame before solidly welding the seams.

Squaring the frame
     Next I measured diagonally corner to corner.  There was enough flexibility in the system to nudge the frame. By making sure the hypotenuses were equal, it insured that the right triangles that make up the rectangular frame were square (I'm a middle school teacher, so I have to slip in some real world math application).
    
     Then I welded the bottom flat seams of the mitered corners.  This stablized the structure.   



No comments:

Post a Comment